For those of you who know me, you know that I have somewhat of an addictive/obsessive personality. Meaning, when I find something I like, or something new/exciting, I consume it. A lot. Be it a new food, a new hike, a TV show, or a new appliance… when it hits me, I am all in. Examples include:
- When I discovered Pressed Juicery was a thing, you better believe I drove there (about a 20-30 minute drive, which to us here on the island, is a far travel) to eat that frozen, dairy-free, refreshing treat ALL THE TIME. *Shout-out to Darci for making the trip with me and becoming obsessed as well.
- After discovering my love for Koko Head (a ridiculously intense uphill battle against a mountain), I started hiking that baby about 2x a week. And timing myself.
- I go through different phases of food obsessions: kite hill cream cheese, kombucha, papayas, dates, coconut peanut butter, fro-yo etc. I will eat a lot of a certain thing for a period of time, until I find another food that I become obsessed with.
- Current obsession: Matcha. When I was traveling the past couple weeks, it was literally my mission to find a decent, unsweetened, matcha tea latte. It is a LOT harder to find than you may think.
- Don’t get me started on Netflix… once I discover a show, it’s game over. I am invested. I feel like those people are my friends, and I am “hanging out with them”. Past obsessions include: Friends, Hart of Dixie, Gilmore Girls, Friday Night Lights, and of course The Office. Needless to say, I try not to start a series.
- Harry Potter. Enough Said. I have probably watched those movies more than anybody I have ever met.
- Core Power Yoga Sculpt… I am addicted, you guys. I just discovered this magical beast which literally combines all my favorite forms of exercise (cardio, weights, hot yoga, & loud music) a couple months ago and I am ALL IN. I even started working at the yoga studio to get a discount.
And thus, this brings me to my most current obsession. My new Vitamix. I have seriously been using it for anything and everything. I. Can’t. Stop. Blending. I have made smoothie upon smoothie, coffee, matcha lattes, turmeric milk, protein balls, pesto, banana ice cream, and the list goes on! I will find any excuse to make something in it and I am embarrassed by the amount of joy blending things gives me.
But this smoothie has definitely been my go-to for this week. Each time I tweak it, adding a little dash of this, and a spoonful of this, but this recipe below is golden. The avocado (which may seem a bit strange to some) gives it that added fluffiness and the blueberry base not only gives it a beautiful color but packs a ton of antioxidants and nutrients into it. Now, you obviously don’t need a Vitamix to make this, so give it a go and trust me when I say you won’t be disappointed.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp coconut butter
- ¼ avocado
- 1 scoop Protein Superfoods Chocolate Peanut Butter protein powder (vanilla protein powder would also be a great substitute)
- 1 Tbs ground flax
- Water (the less water you use, the thicker it is)
- Place all your ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until you acheive a thick, creamy consistency. You can play around with the amount of water you use. Start with less, and if you want a looser consistency, add more!
- Top your smoothie with your desired toppings. I used homemade chocolate granola, bee pollen, and fresh blueberries.
Me and my Hawaiian toes hope you enjoy!
xoxo, tessa jean.