Isn’t this smoothie just GOURD-eous?! Sorry, I had to. Even though technically butternut squash is NOT a gourd, but they are members of the same family so I thought I would go for it. Anyways, I had so much fun making this super unconventional smoothie. Since I do a lot of shopping at Costco (Hawaii livin is expense y’all, and Costco is so cost effective) I tend to buy my veggies and produce in bulk which allows me to get creative for how I use them! Costco has lately been offering some scrumptious butternut squash that I have been having so much fun using!
I was inspired to make this new smoothie because I have been challenging myself to make my smoothies with less sugar–thus less fruit. This has broadened my horizon to start adding frozen veggies to the mix–such as zucchini, cauliflower, beets, kale, and now squash! Many times you can’t taste the veggies, but you get all the nutritional benefits of your daily veggies dose! So I thought I would give a whack at a butternut squash smoothie, and to my delight it turned out really great! The consistency was super satisfying and the color was definitely aesthetically pleasing (which for me, is a big factor). So if you want to up your smoothie game, are trying to add more veggies to your diet, or just try something new, give this one a go! (Or should I say, give it a gourd!)
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1T ground flax
- 1-2 T almond butter
- 1-2 dates (optional, for additional sweetness)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or almond)
- Place all your ingredients in a high speed blender, and blend!
- Top with your favorite goods! I topped mine with ⅓ cup chocolate granola & drizzled almond buttah (because no smoothie is complete without those two items, duh).