First off, can I just say how baffled I am that I have never before made my own nut butter?! Why on earth has it taken me this long!? Now that I have made it and seen not only how EASY it is, but how unbelievably delicious it is, I don’t think I can ever go back to buying nut butter from the store. If you know me, you know I am a ridiculously die hard fan of any and all nut butter. I don’t think I have gone a day without having some kind of nut butter in years. Years. I have gone through phases where I tell myself I am going to try and go a certain amount of time without having it, and every single time without fail, I FAIL. But now (thankfully) I have just accepted the fact that I don’t need to ever go without it, and that the fat is GOOD for you! But even if it wasn’t, you better believe I’d still be downing it on the daily. At any given time, I am guaranteed to have some on-the-go travel pack of nut butter in my purse. Because, you never know when hunger will strike, and heaven forbid I am nut butter-less and hungry!
Anyways, back to the recipe. Honestly, you can sub any kind of nut for almonds and have the same desired outcome (walnuts, pecans, cashews, etc). Add in whatever kind of extras you are feeling. If you like a little sweetness, add some maple syrup! If you want some crunch and some extra fiber, go with some chia seeds! If you wanna get crazy add some culinary lavender & vanilla extract! (Okay, definitely trying that). Feeling chocolatey? Add some cocoa powder & maple syrup! Okay, I’m getting carried away, but you get the gist. But if you just want a foolproof recipe, I got you covered. This combo below honestly blew my mind. I was not prepared for how delicious it was going to be. Dangerously so.
- 3 cups raw almonds
- 2 TBS chia seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roast almonds for 10-12 minutes.
- Let almonds cool, then add them into your high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend until smoothy and buttery. This may take a while (~10 mins), so be patient!
- After blended, add in any extras you desire! My extras are listed above, but feel free to get creative!
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3-4 weeks!